29 Jan 2018
up to 30 hours per week
29 Jan 2018
up to 30 hours per week
While there are no formal entry requirements for this qualification, the following will assist you in discerning if you are ready for study at this level:
- Are you volunteering or working in the disability services field? Although much of your assessment is based on simulation, some learning and assessment tasks are based on activities in the community services sector. For this reason, you need to be participating in the industry. Please refer to the 'Placement' section below for further details. If you are not currently employed or volunteering in the industry, it is strongly recommended that you consider the Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability).
- Do you have a Blue Card? You will be required to hold or obtain a Blue Card whilst working or volunteering in the community sector.
- Do you have literacy levels equivalent to a successful completion of year 12 English? Study will involve a range of reading comprehension activities, analysis of information and interpretation, working with policies and legislation, completing forms, hand-written and electronic reports, writing case notes and referrals, and conducting research and referencing.
- Do you have a range of study skills, self-motivation and reasonable independence to direct your study? External study is very flexible, but this means you need to foster self-discipline in organising your study time, so as to pace yourself to meet your assessment deadlines.
- Although functioning fairly independently in your learning, do you feel confident in contacting your teacher or other support staff when needed? Contact from your teacher will occur, but it is important that you feel free to initiate contact when needed, as well. Staff at TAFE are here to support you throughout your training.
Education City Drive
Springfield QLD 4304
100 Bridge Street
Toowoomba QLD 4350
A range of Disability services resources and texts are available from the TAFE Queensland South West Library, under the 'Subject Guides - Community/Disability Services' category.
You will require access to a reliable internet connection to access TAFE Queensland's online systems, and a computer with up-to-date software, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Reader and Adobe Flash Player. This equipment and software is available for students to use at a number of TAFE Queensland locations.
You will also require personal stationery (pen and paper), and a valid email address.
You will complete one group of units per semester (each semester runs for approximately 120 weeks). To successfully complete each group within this timeframe, you will be required to undertake approximately 30 hours of independent study per week.
In addition to this, to successfully complete this qualification you will be required to attend 3 days of Intensive Skills Workshops each semester. Please refer to timetables for dates and location information.
You are encouraged to develop an individual term timetable to manage your commitments to study, work and family so that assessments can be submitted by due dates.
It is a compulsory component of this qualification, for students to be undertaking 200 hrs of relevant activities within a disability service agency. These activities will align with each competency of your qualification.
If you currently work in industry, your supervisor will need to provide feedback on your work activities and your effectiveness in these, relevant to the course competencies. You will need to check with your teacher that your paid work is appropriate for this qualification and consult your work supervisor to check if s/he is open to providing feedback on your work to your TAFE teacher.
If you are not currently employed or volunteering in the industry, it is strongly recommended that you consider the Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability).
If you are currently working or volunteering in the industry, please speak with the teaching team to discuss if it is appropriate and to organise paperwork to formalise your role as a placement.